March 10, 2006

When we two parted-- Byron

When We Two Parted
當我們別離
--by George Gordon, Lord Byron (1788-1824)
拜倫

When we two parted
當我們離別
In silence and tears,
沉默與眼淚
Half broken-hearted
幾乎心碎
To sever for years,
將分隔多年
Pale grew thy cheek and cold,
你的臉蒼白而冰冷
Colder thy kiss;
你的吻更冷
Truly that hour foretold
那一刻預言了今天
Sorrow to this.
令人傷悲


The dew of the morning
晨露
Sunk chill on my brow--
凍在眉梢
It felt like the warning
彷彿透露
Of what I feel now.
此刻我心
Thy vows are all broken,
你的誓言破滅
And light is thy fame;
你的信用輕薄
I hear thy name spoken,
我曾聽聞你的惡名
And share in its shame.
以此同羞


They name thee before me,
當人們提起你的名字
A knell to mine ear;
如喪鐘響在我耳際
A shudder comes o'er me--
一陣心悸
Why wert thou so dear?
為什麼曾經如此愛你
They know not I knew thee,
他們不如我懂你
Who knew thee too well--
太過懂你
Long, long shall I rue thee,
我將長久為你嘆息
Too deeply to tell.
直到太深無法說得清


In secret we met--
悄悄相見
In silence I grieve,
我沉默傷逝
That thy heart could forget,
你的心竟能忘記
Thy spirit deceive.
你的靈魂能夠欺瞞
If I should meet thee
如果我遇見你
After long years,
在多年以後
How should I greet thee?--
我如何招呼你?
With silence and tears.
以沉默 以眼淚

No comments: